One situation where a waterproof or water-resistant iPhone doesn’t live up to the tag is when it has a cracked screen. It has been stated by Apple in its literature that each device’s water resistance is temporary, and the waterproof rating diminishes with wear and tear.
Consequently, your iPhone will not be protected from water damage when it has a cracked screen because it leaves the device’s water seal integrity compromised. Therefore, your phone is at greater risk if the screen is not in a good condition.
The difference between waterproof and water-resistant iPhones
Taking the iPhone 8 as an example, it is water-resistant and not waterproof. For a device to be waterproof, it means that no amount of liquid can enter it, it is 100% sealed off from the liquid. Therefore, if you immerse a waterproof product into the water for an indefinite period, it can’t seep through.
Meanwhile, a water-resistant product means that water cannot enter the device only in certain conditions. These conditions include the depth of water pressure and the duration of exposure time.
What To Do If Your Iphone Comes In Contact With Water
So, your phone fell into the water, you don’t need to panic, the next line of action should be your concern. The rate of contact with water depends on the IP rating. Some iPhones can resist water damage when three feet underwater for over 20 minutes like the iPhone 8.
However, since the waterproof seal may diminish with time, the following precautions need to be followed:
- Turn off the device.
- Clean the water remains with a cloth quickly.
- Tap the phone against your palm lightly to remove excess water with the charging port facing down.
- Place the phone in a dry place for access to air and it is important not to connect to a charger in that period. You can also direct a cool air fan towards it to hasten the process.
- For clarity and to be on the safer side of things, visit the Apple store for inspection.
How To Prevent Water Damage
It’s not advisable to take your phone into the shower, or is it? The best way you can reduce the risk of water damage is to prevent contact with water or any form of liquid as much as you can. An extra precaution you can take is to start using the use of a waterproof case.
This protective case offers you another layer of protection on the IP moisture scale, increasing the device’s waterproof rating from IP67 to IP68. This means your iPhone can go another half meter deep into the water for more than 20 minutes without the fear of damage. Although for a water-resistant case to be fully waterproof, the moisture rating would need to be at the maximum grade of 9 out of 9.
What To Do If Your Iphone Screen Cracks
Unless it is total damage, you can live with a cracked screen for a while before you get it fixed. Do the following to ease your pain.
- Try to remove any remnant of glasses remaining on the damaged screen and be careful with your fingers to prevent splinters.
- Cover the badly cracked part with tape. Make sure you didn’t cover the microphone, speaker, or home button.
- If you’re the tech-savvy type, you can try to fix it yourself with the tools and equipment needed (not advisable).
- Ultimately, if the damage is way past your jurisdiction, contact apple care and they will get it fixed.
It might even be at a low cost or free of charge depending on your device model and service plan. Note that liquid damage is not included in the one year warranty.
Ways To Prevent Your Iphone’s Screen From Cracks
There are some things you can do to prevent the issue of cracked phones from being a recurring action. This is also useful for new devices.
- Purchase a good screen protector and waterproof case because the iPhone is water resistant, but not waterproof.
- Prevent impact. No matter what happens, try as much as possible to minimize the impact by breaking the fall of your iPhone. You will do well by preventing front-side-down impact.
- Devise a backup plan. Back up your phone regularly if you are the type that can’t trust yourself enough to prevent accidents. Also, you can get an insurance policy that will cover you.